Meet the Trainers
Laura Rothboeck, CPDT-KA, is a professional dog trainer based in Vancouver, Washington. She earned certification through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers and is professionally trained by the Jean Donaldson Academy for Dog Trainers, which is widely considered the Harvard of dog training schools. She is a graduate of dog•tec’s Dog Walking Academy, and is certified in Pet First Aid and CPR through PetTech. She also has a Bachelor’s degree from Southern Oregon University.
Laura’s 22 years of experience began with volunteer work to help animals at several not-for-profit organizations. She served on the board of directors for Friends of the Animal Shelter (FOTAS), a nonprofit supporting the Jackson County Animal Shelter. In addition to walking and training dogs, she assisted with adoptions, wrote for their newsletter, helped with fundraising, and coordinated events. Laura has worked with Australian Shepherd rescue for over a decade where she evaluates dogs, screens applications, fosters dogs, and recruits and trains volunteers. She has also helped with animal care work at Sanctuary One, an Oregon shelter for rescued farm animals, dogs, and cats.
Laura has two dogs, River and Tula, who give her plenty of opportunities to practice new training techniques. She spent many years traveling across the country with her Aussie, Tula, for competitive agility and rally, two sports in which winning depends on close coordination and teamwork between the human “coach” and canine “player.” She enjoys hiking, camping, and kayaking with her dogs.
CLICK HERE to see videos of dogs that Laura has trained in action.
Lori Curtin, CTC, is a graduate from The Academy of Dog Trainers and earned her Certification in Dog Training and Counseling (CTC). In addition to private and class training she is employed by the Humane Society of Southwest Washington as a Training and Canine Enrichment Specialist. She has been assisting and teaching in dog classes for over 8 years. She realized that dog behavior and training had become a passion and pursued additional education with the goal of understanding and applying animal behavior though positive reinforcement training.
Before moving to the beautiful Pacific Northwest, Lori had a wealth of experience including:
- Assistant canine trainer including basic manners, puppy socialization and dog agility classes at Tony LaRussa’s Animal Rescue Foundation (A.R.F.)
- Training and Canine Enrichment Specialist and Dog Walker at Humane Society for SW Washington
- Pet foster for canines and kittens at the Humane Society for Southwest Washington
- Dog enrichment volunteer at A.R.F.
- Dog walker, pet foster at A.R.F.
- Volunteer adoption contracts and counseling at A.R.F.
- Feline socialization and shelter care at the East Bay SPCA
- Canine socialization and shelter care at the E.B.S.P.C.A.
- Pet fostering – dogs and kittens and “bottle baby” kittens at the E.B.S.P.C.A.
- Dog walker and canine good behavior trainer at E.B.S.P.C.A.
Lori currently shares her life with two senior rescue dogs, a Doxie mix and a Blue Tick Coon Hound mix, as well as two cat rescues which include one bottle baby “foster failure”.
Lori is also a member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers and is certified in pet first aid and CPR.